- More than 800 million people go to bed hungry every day…300 million are children.
- Every 3.6 seconds another person dies of starvation and the large majority are children under the age of 5.
- Every year six million children die from malnutrition before their fifth birthday.
- More than 40 percent of women in Africa do not have access to basic education.
- If a girl is educated for six years or more, as an adult her prenatal care, postnatal care and childbirth survival rates, will dramatically and consistently improve.
- Every minute, a woman somewhere dies in pregnancy or childbirth. This adds up to 1,400 women dying each day—an estimated 529,000 each year—from pregnancy-related causes.
- Almost half of births in developing countries take place without the help of a skilled birth attendant.
- Of these 300 million children, only eight percent are victims of famine or other emergency situations. More than 90 percent are suffering long-term malnourishment and micronutrient deficiency.
"As long as poverty, injustice and gross inequality exist in our world, none of us can truly rest." — Nelson Mandela, Former President of South Africa